Introduce whole note:
- Teacher sing song, students raise a hand on each long note. How many are there? (4)
- Teacher sing again while students lightly pat the (quarter note) beat. How many beats go by in each long note? (4)
Which instrument makes a long sound?
- Divide the class in half.
- Half play the quarter notes (on a soft instrument like maracas or guiros) during the whole notes.
- Half play whole notes (tone bells, or resonator bells, on B, A and G)
Which pitched instrument makes a long sound?
- As students play whole notes, they nod on the 4 beats so they can feel how many beats go by as the note lasts.